Thermal Transfer Overprinting
Offering you performance
Domino’s V-Series range of Thermal Transfer Overprint (TTO) coders can print variable data, bar codes and images at 300dpi quality onto flexible packaging films and labels for a wide range of manufacturing and packaging applications in the food, pharmaceutical and industrial sectors.
Thermal transfer is already a well established technology for coding onto flexible packaging yet through superior capability and technological advances that make it more affordable, it is also now gaining widespread recognition as a replacement to older, non digital technologies including hot stamp and roller coders.
The V-Series range comprises 3 models (V120i, V230iand V320i) to suit your specific coding needs but, compared to alternative TTO solutions, all offer you reduced Total cost of ownership (TCO) though reduced downtime, reduced consumable use, operational simplicity and improved coding capability.
This added value has been delivered through i-Tech, Domino's Intelligent Technology which has been developed with over 20 years of TTO experience and has resulted in unique innovations such as our i-TechRibbon Drive and our class leading QuickStep user interface.
These benefits combined with versatility and simple installation, ensure V-Series is the perfect choice whether you are a manufacturer or packaging machinery OEM
The affordable way to introduce digital TTO coding to your line
For general purpose digital TTO coding with reduced total cost of ownership
For specialist applications, requiring the ultimate in capability and the lowest possible TCO
How it works
Printing is achieved by placing a thermal ribbon between a heated printhead and the substrate to be marked. With the three items in contact, the printhead is moved over the length of both the ribbon and the substrate. Heat from the printhead is passed through the ribbon, causing ink to melt and be released from its underside. The ink adheres to the substrate and then cools rapidly, resulting in a permanent print.
The printhead typically comprises 300 individually controlled, miniature heating elements per inch across its width. A printed image can be created by rapidly turning these elements on (hot) and off (cold) as the printhead moves over the ribbon. Software is used to convert the printed design into signals to control the printhead. Thermal transfer overprinters can operate in two modes depending upon how the printhead is moved relative to the ribbon and substrate. These are intermittent and continuous modes.
All Domino's printers are capable of printing in both modes:
Continuous Mode (Shown in above animation)
In continuous mode the substrate is moved continuously. The printhead is stationary and prints while the substrate is moving.
In this printing mode the substrate is moved intermittently. The printhead is moved over the substrate by the printer while the substrate is stationary.
Domino Thermal Transfer (TTO) printers can print variable text (in any, easy to read, true type font), graphics, bar codes and 2 D codes on packaging films, foils and labels to enable pack specific identification and decoration. They offer a wide range of additional benefits:
- Lowest Total Cost of Ownership - through i-Tech features offering reduced ribbon consumption and minimised downtime
- Simple, error free operation - through QuickStep, our industry leading User interface
- Simple integration - allows quick and efficient installation or replacement of existing TTO coders
- Versatile Performance - allows a perfect match your application
Domino Partners with a wide range and large number of packaging machinery manufacturers to offer our mutual customers a fully integrated packaging machine and TTO coding solution with no hassle and added value. Specific benefits to OEMs include:
- Customised integration design services providing bespoke brackets and electronic systems integration
- Advanced product features simplifying installation and set up of each printer (Compact size, no compressed air, automatic printhead alignment, printer / packaging machine GUI integration)
- Simple fit and forget - management of all printer support needs from a global network
- Dedicated product and integration training
- Ongoing commercial support
- Customer trials and demonstrations
- Exhibitions, open days, marketing support