ABOUT DOMINO PRINTING SCIENCES
We guarantee our products will have touched your life many times without you even noticing. From eggs to soft drinks cans to the cable in your walls and the medicines in your bathroom cabinet, you will find evidence of our success on products throughout your home.
Domino Printing Sciences plc, an autonomous division of Brother Industries Ltd, comprises of a group of businesses and brands, each with unique capabilities, targeted at industries utilising coding and printing. Our clever technology enables companies to print product identification and other variable data - such as use-by-dates and tracking codes – on their products no matter what the surface, how fast they’re produced, or where in the world they’re made.
We offer a wide range of printing technologies including Continuous Ink Jet, Laser Coding, Piezo Drop on Demand, Print and Apply, Thermal Ink Jet, Thermal Transfer Overprinting and Digital Printing. Our investment into R&D means that we’re continually improving our existing product range as well as developing new innovative products. Covering diverse sectors from food and beverage, pharmaceutical and healthcare, to industrial and construction, our aim is to provide our customers with solutions tailored to the needs of their business.
ABOUT THE ROLE - Senior Electronics Operations NPI Engineer
You will ultimately ensure that we introduce new electronic components and products to our internal and external customers that meet or exceed cost, quality and time to market requirements and can be manufactured competitively and sustainably for the entire product life. You will influence the development of new group wide electronic products working with R&D and Group Sourcing from concept to post launch handover ensuring design for manufacture and supplier selection form part of the design process.
- Creation of the manufacturing strategy for new electronics products, with input from stakeholders, ensuring timely completion in line with gateway reviews.
- Ensure that the value chain is designed and developed to support the aims of the business.
- Improve product launch date achievement and early launch product quality through Advanced Quality Planning Processes that minimise design iterations.
- Design and optimise the manufacturing and test processes for electronic components, ensuring product and manufacturing cost and build targets are achieved. Operational performance KPIs will determine the success of the new product introduction.
- Promote Design for Manufacture and Assembly and Design for Test in new product design, using a structured technique to measure improvement versus current and / or competitor products.
- Ensure the selection of adequate processes, components and materials with the design team that support capable achievement of required tolerances.
- Ensure with Sourcing that suppliers are selected that are capable and made accountable for the outcome.
- Lead and participate in Design and Process FMEA’s, ensuring that risks are mitigated.
- Manage pre-launch build programs by suppliers and ensure improvement actions are identified and acted upon.
- Run and partake in cross functional design reviews.
- Agree handover criteria with stakeholders and successfully transfer products from the design environment into Operational support.
- Undertake new technology assessments and development for future use.
The Domino values are all about working together to Do More. Team Spirit, Energy and Urgency, Commitment and a Positive Attitude are all things which we look for in our people.
- Design for Manufacture and Assembly
- Test Strategy Design
- Advanced Quality Planning including PPAP activities
- Supply Chain design to support end to end network
- Tooling and Process Selection and Procurement for varying volume and variation requirements
- Six sigma
- Lean Manufacturing
EDUCATION & TRAINING
- Should have minimum of a Degree and / or have obtained Professional recognition as a Chartered Engineer through responsible experience.
- Should be green belt certified in Six Sigma.
EXPERIENCE / KNOWLEDGE
- You will have held a manufacturing engineering, quality or NPI related role and demonstrated your ability to launch quality products in competitive timescales within a new product gate framework
- You will demonstrate knowledge and experience of ‘best in class’ approaches used by reputable manufacturing companies and industries and draw upon them as examples
- Demonstrate an understanding of the business processes and performance drivers within an Operations business, with recognition of the wider impact of the role
- You will be someone who commands respect of your fellow engineers and often be sought for guidance in manufacturing and R&D related projects
- You will have driven process improvement in an effort to reduce time and cost of product introduction and /or improve quality of manufacturing products
- You will have experience of multiple processing technologies and be familiar with processes to ensure capable tooling and components are developed
- You will be able to demonstrate your understanding and use of appropriate tools, including statistical analysis, Six Sigma, DFM and Lean Manufacturing methods
- You should be familiar with PPAP and process capability techniques and analysis of inspection data using statistical analysis packages.
- Excellent communication skills – verbal and written
- Influencing and negotiation skills at all levels, exercising a high degree of tact and diplomacy as required
- Project Management tools and techniques - including use of Gant Chart software such as MS Project, Smartsheet etc
- Use of PLM Change Management and document control systems desirable
- Use of ERP software for setting up Bills of Materials desirable
- Use of Statistical software tools such as Minitab desirable.
- Possess a natural ‘can-do’ approach to working life
- Someone who challenges the status quo and seeks continual progression and improvement.
- Awareness of situations with the ability to meticulously consider the situation and make quick and correct decisions with strong personal commitment
- Communicates and works with colleagues to develop plans for medium and long term business critical targets
- People focused, empowering and present in day to day activities
- Ability to really understand and embrace the DNA and culture of the business
- A strong communicator internally and externally
- High credibility to coach other team members and influence peers
- Ability to lead a team of engineers
- Gravitas and ability to influence and command respect from peer group
- Commercially astute and highly motivated
- Demonstrates high levels of impact and acceptability, strong influencing skills, an approach to development and coaching and seek to align activity to strategy.
As well as a competitive salary, we offer a generous benefits package including 25 days basic holiday, a discretionary bonus scheme as well as training and development opportunities to progress your career with Domino.
CAMBRIDGE – A GREAT PLACE TO WORK
Our head office is based in Bar Hill, just 4 miles from the City of Cambridge with excellent road links North, South and East via the A14 and M11. Home to one of the oldest universities in the English-speaking world and now one of the most important technology centres in Europe, Cambridge is a city steeped in the past as well as the future. From sightseeing to wonderful historic buildings to punting on the river Cam, or visiting one of the many bars and restaurants in the city, Cambridge has something for everyone. Excellent public transport links mean that it’s only a 50 minute journey to London and Stansted Airport. In addition, London City Airport and Luton Airport are both within easy travelling distance. Find out more about Cambridge at www.visitcambridge.org Join Domino and you will become part of an award-winning, global business and British success story. Our smart technology enables companies to print use-by-dates and tracking codes on their products no matter what the surface, how fast they’re produced, or where in the world they’re made. From eggs and soft drink cans to the cable in your walls and the medicines in your bathroom cabinet, you will find evidence of our success on products throughout your home. We’re continuing to invest in Research & Development in our commitment to bring new products to our customers.
Please click on 'Apply for this vacancy' below and you will be directed to a web form. You can also upload a copy of your CV on the web form.