ABOUT DOMINO PRINTING SCIENCES
We guarantee our products will have touched your life many times without you even noticing. From eggs to soft drinks cans to the cable in your walls and the medicines in your bathroom cabinet, you will find evidence of our success on products throughout your home.
Domino Printing Sciences plc, an autonomous division of Brother Industries Ltd, comprises of a group of businesses and brands, each with unique capabilities, targeted at industries utilising coding and printing. Our clever technology enables companies to print product identification and other variable data - such as use-by-dates and tracking codes – on their products no matter what the surface, how fast they’re produced, or where in the world they’re made.
We offer a wide range of printing technologies including Continuous Ink Jet, Laser Coding, Piezo Drop on Demand, Print and Apply, Thermal Ink Jet, Thermal Transfer Overprinting and Digital Printing. Our investment into R&D means that we’re continually improving our existing product range as well as developing new innovative products. Covering diverse sectors from food and beverage, pharmaceutical and healthcare, to industrial and construction, our aim is to provide our customers with solutions tailored to the needs of their business.
Job Purpose - Apprentice Electronics Engineer
To work within the hardware team as they design, test and fault-find a wide range of coding and marking products. Building prototypes; testing new printer designs; developing tests and test equipment; running test; analysing results and producing technical reports.
Our development projects involve cross functional teams working together to deliver world class products. The products embody mechanical housings, precision mechanisms, micro fluid handling systems, electronics and software in one elegant package, manufactured in low to medium volume and sold worldwide. The electronic control systems include micro-controller-based systems, analogue sensors, actuators, fluid control systems, and bespoke ink droplet creation, charging and deflection systems.
The engineering teams responsible for the new developments rely on talented and multi skilled engineers to contribute to these projects in a fast-paced environment. The work environment is dynamic and friendly with a commitment to employee development and training. In turn, the projects require sound technical knowledge from people with an excellent engineering aptitude and strong interpersonal skills. The role of the Electronics Apprentice within this team is to support the engineers as they deliver the above, developing their own skills as they progress and develop, with the goal of becoming an engineer themselves
- Have some experience of performing practical tests or lab experiments
- Communicate clearly and concisely on technical subjects
- Able to write reports to communicate with the team
- A basic understanding of general physics and engineering principals
- A logical approach to problem solving
- Ability to quickly learn new concepts and take ownership of tasks
To support engineers in the design, validation & optimisation of new designs. Eventually the Apprentice will be able to:
- Accurately follow existing test plans, and create basic plans themselves
- Analyse results, draw conclusions and make recommendations (with support)
- Design and/or modify tests and test equipment as needed
- Organise and participate in design review sessions
- Document all work to the level required to enable reuse for future development work
- Ensure all safety procedures relevant to development activities are adhered to
- Gain experience of working within a wide range of development department to gain product, business and engineering knowledge and to create a network of contacts
- Build knowledge of the business environment within Domino and the industry we supply to
- Logical approach to problem solving
- Ability to analyse results and data and draw accurate conclusions
- Technical report writing
- Flexible team working
Knowledge of electronics
Using Excel or similar spreadsheet package
Basic mechanical and/or software awareness
Experience of using Electronic CAD systems
The Domino values are all about working together to Do More. Team Spirit, Energy and Urgency, Commitment and a Positive Attitude are all things which we look for in our people.
EDUCATION & TRAINING
- A-levels (or equivalent) in Physics and Maths to a high standard
EXPERIENCE / KNOWLEDGE
- Following test procedures and analysing results
- Writing reports to a good technical standard
- Working in a team environment
- Fast learner
- knowledge of engineering principles
- Performing tests and analysing results
- Scientific approach to problem solving
- Proposing useful, novel ideas
- Self starter
- Energetic and enthusiastic
- Open, friendly team worker
As well as a competitive salary, we offer a generous benefits package including 25 days basic holiday, a discretionary bonus scheme, as well as training and development opportunities to progress your career with Domino.
Join Domino and you will become part of an award-winning, global business and British success story. Our smart technology enables companies to print use-by-dates and tracking codes on their products no matter what the surface, how fast they’re produced, or where in the world they’re made. From eggs and soft drink cans to the cable in your walls and the medicines in your bathroom cabinet, you will find evidence of our success on products throughout your home. We’re continuing to invest in Research & Development in our commitment to bring new products to our customers.
Please click on 'Apply for this vacancy' below and you will be directed to a web form. You can also upload a copy of your CV on the web form.