ABOUT DOMINO PRINTING SCIENCES
We guarantee our products will have touched your life many times without you even noticing. From eggs to soft drinks cans to the cable in your walls and the medicines in your bathroom cabinet, you will find evidence of our success on products throughout your home.
Domino Printing Sciences plc, an autonomous division of Brother Industries Ltd, comprises of a group of businesses and brands, each with unique capabilities, targeted at industries utilising coding and printing. Our clever technology enables companies to print product identification and other variable data - such as use-by-dates and tracking codes – on their products no matter what the surface, how fast they’re produced, or where in the world they’re made.
We offer a wide range of printing technologies including Continuous Ink Jet, Laser Coding, Piezo Drop on Demand, Print and Apply, Thermal Ink Jet, Thermal Transfer Overprinting and Digital Printing. Our investment into R&D means that we’re continually improving our existing product range as well as developing new innovative products. Covering diverse sectors from food and beverage, pharmaceutical and healthcare, to industrial and construction, our aim is to provide our customers with solutions tailored to the needs of their business.
The System Administrator (SA) is responsible for effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of systems hardware and software and related infrastructure. This individual participates in technical research and development to enable continuing innovation within the infrastructure. This individual ensures that system hardware, operating systems, software systems, and related procedures adhere to organizational values, enabling staff, partners, and customers.
This individual will assist project teams with technical issues in the Initiation and Planning phases of our standard Project Management Methodology. These activities include the definition of needs, benefits, and technical strategy; research & development within the project life-cycle; technical analysis and design; and support of operations staff in executing, testing and rolling-out the solutions.
This individual is accountable for the following systems:
- Windows and Linux systems that support Global MIS (GMIS) infrastructure;
- Windows, Linux and Application systems that support the Domino Business;
- Key Infrastructure applications such as but not limited to; MS Office 365, Backups, Discoverer, Printing,
- Supporting Infrastructure for Domino Business Critical applications such as but not limited to; Oracle, Oracle Agile, TM1, MES, and IP phones.
Responsibilities on these systems include SA engineering and provisioning, operations and support, maintenance and research and development to ensure continual innovation. Other core services the individual may needs to support from time to time are the WAN, LAN and Active Directory. The holder is expected to develop skills and knowledge to obtain promotion to move into one of these areas as a specialist, as a Senior System Administrator.
Responsibilities sometimes require working evenings and weekends, sometimes with little advanced notice. Travel may be required from time to time.
SA Engineering and Provisioning of Infrastructure Services and Applications
- Engineering of SA-related solutions for various project and operational needs.
- Install new / rebuild existing servers and configure hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with standards and project/operational requirements.
- Install and configure systems such as supports GMIS Infrastructure applications or Domino Business critical applications.
- Research and recommend innovative, and where possible automated approaches for system administration tasks. Identify approaches that leverage our resources and provide economies of scale.
- Develop and maintain installation and configuration procedures.
Contribute to and maintain system standards.
- Adhere to Domino Change Control Procedures.
Operations and Support of Infrastructure Services and Applications
- Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as backups.
- Perform regular security monitoring to identify any possible intrusions.
- Perform daily backup operations, ensuring all required file systems and system data are successfully backed up to the appropriate media, recovery tapes or disks are created, and media is recycled and sent off site as necessary.
- Perform regular file archival and purge as necessary.
- Create, change, and delete user accounts per request.
- Provide 2nd and 3rd level support per request from various other departments. Investigate and troubleshoot issues.
- Repair and recover from hardware or software failures. Coordinate and communicate with impacted departments.
- Play and active role in Disaster Recovery planning and testing.
Maintenance of Infrastructure Services and Applications
- Apply OS patches and upgrades on a regular basis, and upgrade administrative tools and utilities. Configure / add new services as necessary.
- Upgrade and configure system software that supports GMIS Infrastructure applications or Domino Business critical applications per project or operational needs.
- Maintain operational, configuration, or other procedures.
- Perform periodic performance reporting to support capacity planning.
- Perform ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required. Configure CPU, memory, and disk partitions as required.
- Maintain data centre environmental and monitoring equipment.
Other duties deemed commensurate with the role, in relation to Supporting Infrastructure for Domino Business Critical applications
- Assist with Administration of Interfaces, Reporting and Alerts
- Support of Oracle Mobile apps including label printing infrastructure
- Administer Red Hat/OEL licensing of Oracle servers and Domino domains
- Provide back-up support for the coordination of Third Party Managed Services
- Initiating Action
- Impact and Acceptance
- Work Standards
- Questioning and Analysis
- Stress Tolerance
- Listening and Empathy
The Domino values are all about working together to Do More. Team Spirit, Energy and Urgency, Commitment and a Positive Attitude are all things which we look for in our people.
EDUCATION & TRAINING
- Degree in Computer Science or IT related subject.
- System Engineer certifications in Microsoft and Linux, such as MCSE and/or LFCS
- ITIL certification at Foundation level.
- Certifications in Networking technologies such as CCNA, and CCNP would be advantages,
Four to six years system administration experience.
EXPERIENCE / KNOWLEDGE
- Experience of industrial sector (desirable)
- Oracle Systems Administration
- Experience of working with third party IT contract suppliers
- Knowledge of LAN/WAN
- Knowledge of Windows system administration
- Experience monitoring servers
- Experience of documenting process and configurations
- Understanding of change control process
- ITIL best practices
- Position deals with a variety of problems and sometime must decide which answer is best. The question/issues are not typically clear and requires determination of which answer (from a few choices) is the best.
- Intermediate to Advanced MS Office skills (Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Interpret and/or discuss information with others, which involves terminology or concepts not familiar to many people; regularly provide advice and recommend actions involving rather complex issues.
- May resolve problems within established practices.
- Provides occasional guidance, some of which is technical.
- Has a “Can-do attitude”
- Logical approach to problem solving
- High attention to detail
- Forward and innovative thinking
As well as a competitive salary, we offer a generous benefits package including 25 days basic holiday, a discretionary bonus scheme, as well as training and development opportunities to progress your career with Domino.
Join Domino and you will become part of an award-winning, global business and British success story. Our smart technology enables companies to print use-by-dates and tracking codes on their products no matter what the surface, how fast they’re produced, or where in the world they’re made. From eggs and soft drink cans to the cable in your walls and the medicines in your bathroom cabinet, you will find evidence of our success on products throughout your home. We’re continuing to invest in Research & Development in our commitment to bring new products to our customers.
Please click on 'Apply for this vacancy' below and you will be directed to a web form. You can also upload a copy of your CV on the web form.